Planning an event?
The food, the decorations, the music…there’s so much that goes into planning the perfect event! But what about the wine? It’s always tricky to decide how much wine to buy for a party or event–too little and you’ll leave your guests grumbling, but too much and you’ll end up with extra bottles! Here are a few tips for planning how much wine to buy for your next party or gathering.
Most standard-sized wine bottles can fill about 4-5 glasses or servings per bottle:
1 Case (12 bottles) : ~60 servings
½ Case (6 bottles) : ~30 servings
1 (750ml) bottle: ~5 servings
Ask yourself these questions:
- How many (adult) guests will be attending?
- How long will guests be staying? Longer affairs could mean more glasses of wine!
- Calculate how many bottles it would take for guests to have 2 glasses each.
What Sort of Wine Should You Buy? Consider These Factors:
- What’s the occasion? Does the celebration call for some bubbly, or are you looking for a more casual sipping wine?
- What’s the weather like? Hot summer days are best paired with crisp, sweet white wines, while cold days are for warming reds and rich foods.
- What do your guests like? It’s difficult to please everyone, and sometimes you just don’t know what your guests prefer, but it’s never a bad idea to throw in a few favorites or requests!
Should I serve my wine chilled or room temperature?
It depends on what you’re serving! Follow these tips:
- Whites and Rosés: Refrigerate for a few hours before serving
- Reds: Keep at or slightly below room temperature.
- Champagne/Sparkling: Chill before serving, and keep on ice between pours.